Updated: Sep 9
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is known as the golden yellow spice. It is most commonly used in Asian curries and produced from the tropical herb from India, a ginger-like rhizome of Curcuma longa.
What is Golden Milk?
Turmeric milk is also referred to as golden milk. It is the mixture of dry turmeric powder or fresh turmeric root (rhizome) and milk. Traditionally it is used in Indian households for treating specific diseases as well as a tonic for general health. Easy to make, golden milk is not only tasty and soothing, but extremely beneficial for your overall health.
Benefits of Golden Milk
Turmeric is great to add to your diet because it has amazing anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticancer properties. Turmeric has the ingredient curcumin, which is an antioxidant that demonstrates anti-inflammatory properties. Extremely beneficial for conditions such as arthritis, muscle sprains and other injuries. It also:
· Builds immunity
· Provides relief from a cough and cold
· Remedy for digestive problems
· Headache remedy
· Great Liver tonic
· Improves reproductive health for women
· Reduces arthritic pain
· It is an excellent blood purifier. …
· Clarifies the skin
· Gives relief from autoimmune diseases
· 1.5 cup of coconut or almond milk ( or any other milk alternative of your choice)
· 1 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 tsp cinnamon ( optional)
· ¼ tsp ground ginger ( optional)
· pinch of freshly-ground peppercorns (optional)
· sweetener to taste, (ex. agave) (optional)
1. In a saucepan, add coconut milk or almond milk, ground turmeric, ground ginger, cinnamon stick ( or ground cinnamon) , coconut oil, black pepper, and sweetener of choice
2. On a medium setting, whisk combination frequently so that the milk does not curdle and so that the mixture is hot but not boiling -for roughly 5 minutes
3. Turn off heat and taste to adjust flavor
4. Add extra cinnamon on top or other desired toppings for an additional taste and artistic touch!
5. Serve in a cut mug and cuddle up next to a good book or show before getting a good nights rest
Easier and faster:
· Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy ( helps make more of a smoother texture and consistency)
· Add mixture to a pot over stove, and simmer 5-10 minutes
Best time to drink golden milk:
Warm milk right before bedtime is a great remedy for relieving insomnia due to the amino acid tryptophan that increases serotonin levels in the brain. This neurotransmitter chemical is linked to relaxation and promoting a calm mood, and sleepiness.
Turmeric is known to elevate insulin levels in the blood, This plays a role in sleep because this increases the intake of amino acids into the body tissues, but does not disturb tryptophan, necessary for the increase in serotonin which helps you fall asleep at night!
Have you tried Golden Milk before? How do you incorporate Turmeric into your diet?
It seems like you're looking for a recipe involving golden milk, a popular and healthy drink made with turmeric and other spices. Golden milk is known for its potential health benefits, particularly its anti-inflammatory properties. Here's a simple recipe for making a basic golden milk:
2 cups of milk (you can use dairy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, or any milk of your choice)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (or you can use freshly grated ginger)
A pinch of black pepper (helps with the absorption of curcumin, the active compound in turmeric)
1-2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup (adjust to taste)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
In a small saucepan, combine the milk, ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and a pinch of black pepper.
Heat the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Be careful not to let it boil; you just want to heat it until it's hot but not scalding.
Once the milk is hot, remove it from the heat and stir in the honey or maple syrup and vanilla extract, if desired. Adjust the sweetness to your taste.
Pour the golden milk into a cup or mug and enjoy it while it's warm.
You can customize this basic golden milk recipe to suit your preferences. Some people like to add a touch of coconut oil for extra creaminess, or you can experiment with other spices like cardamom or nutmeg for added flavor. Additionally, you can froth the milk for a latte-like experience or sprinkle a little ground cinnamon on top for garnish.
Golden milk is not only delicious but also a great way to incorporate the potential health benefits of turmeric into your diet. It's known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and is often consumed to promote overall well-being.