What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is known as the golden yellow spice. It is most commonly used in Asian curries and produced from the tropical herb from India, a ginger-like rhizome of Curcuma longa.
What is Golden Milk?
Turmeric milk is also referred to as golden milk. It is the mixture of dry turmeric powder or fresh turmeric root (rhizome) and milk. Traditionally it is used in Indian households for treating specific diseases as well as a tonic for general health. Easy to make, golden milk is not only tasty and soothing, but extremely beneficial for your overall health.
Benefits of Golden Milk
Turmeric is great to add to your diet because it has amazing anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticancer properties. Turmeric has the ingredient curcumin, which is an antioxidant that demonstrates anti-inflammatory properties. Extremely beneficial for conditions such as arthritis, muscle sprains and other injuries. It also:
· Builds immunity
· Provides relief from a cough and cold
· Remedy for digestive problems
· Headache remedy
· Great Liver tonic
· Improves reproductive health for women
· Reduces arthritic pain
· It is an excellent blood purifier. …
· Clarifies the skin
· Gives relief from autoimmune diseases
· 1.5 cup of coconut or almond milk ( or any other milk alternative of your choice)
· 1 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 tsp cinnamon ( optional)
· ¼ tsp ground ginger ( optional)
· pinch of freshly-ground peppercorns (optional)
· sweetener to taste, (ex. agave) (optional)
1. In a saucepan, add coconut milk or almond milk, ground turmeric, ground ginger, cinnamon stick ( or ground cinnamon) , coconut oil, black pepper, and sweetener of choice
2. On a medium setting, whisk combination frequently so that the milk does not curdle and so that the mixture is hot but not boiling -for roughly 5 minutes
3. Turn off heat and taste to adjust flavor
4. Add extra cinnamon on top or other desired toppings for an additional taste and artistic touch!
5. Serve in a cut mug and cuddle up next to a good book or show before getting a good nights rest
Easier and faster:
· Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy ( helps make more of a smoother texture and consistency)
· Add mixture to a pot over stove, and simmer 5-10 minutes
Best time to drink golden milk:
Warm milk right before bedtime is a great remedy for relieving insomnia due to the amino acid tryptophan that increases serotonin levels in the brain. This neurotransmitter chemical is linked to relaxation and promoting a calm mood, and sleepiness.
Turmeric is known to elevate insulin levels in the blood, This plays a role in sleep because this increases the intake of amino acids into the body tissues, but does not disturb tryptophan, necessary for the increase in serotonin which helps you fall asleep at night!
Have you tried Golden Milk before? How do you incorporate Turmeric into your diet?